Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Metlakatla

My family has been complaining that I don't post on my blog any more, so I thought I would take a minute and catch up.

I've now been in Metlakatla for 2 1/2 weeks, and really like it here. It reminds me of a little town up in the Colorado Rockies - cute, quaint, trees and mountains everywhere. I just pretend that the ocean is a big lake! I just posted a bunch of photos of our house and the area on my Facebook page, so go there to look.

The people here are very friendly, and they are all VERY excited to have a full-time dentist here. It's been over two years since one was here. The temp docs have done a good job of filling in, but it's just not the same.

There are some hard parts. First, and foremost, is the lack of my family. Yes, I enjoy the peace, the ability to watch what ever I want on TV, and not have to watch Trevor's bizarre cartoons (cartoons were so much more refined when I was a kid - Bugs Bunny blowing up Elmer Fudd, Road Runner making Coyote fall off the cliff, etc), but as much as I enjoy that peace, I miss the chaos and din of my children. I miss Xander falling asleep on my lap. I miss Kenny's goofy smile. I miss Amylynn's beaming smile. I miss Trevor's noises that he makes as he bops around the house. I miss snuggling with Cara. I miss holding her hand when we walk. I miss looking into her eyes. I miss her watching figure skating. I miss watching House, Boston Legal and George Lopez with her.

I am a little concerned about having to start doing dentures again. It's been five years since I've done them, and feel a little out of practice. Hopefully, it's like riding a bike.

I found out one exciting bit of information. There is a dive master here that offers scuba lessons. Cara's a little bummed, but I'm way excited. Yes, there is beautiful diving here in Met. Her name is Tani Bell and her website is http://tani.us/. Click on the Metlakatla Underwater 2006 link to see what we have here. I suggested that Cara start taking scuba lessons there in Boise so that we can take them together. We'll see if she does.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm soo jealous of the scuba diving!!! I'm sure you'll have fun! Love and miss you. Can't wait to see you on Thursday!