Monday, September 14, 2009

Xander, FHE, and Dental Plaque

With a title like that, you might wonder how they all tie together. Well, tonight's Family Home Evening lesson was about Oral Hygiene (can you tell I had the lesson?). We used those disclosing tablets that turn your teeth red when you don't brush well, had all the kids chew them up, then showed them how red all of their teeth were. Then I proceeded to explain to them that the red stuff is dyed dental plaque, and that dental plaque is basically teeth bugs and the poop they make. Yes, I'm serious. Go back and read the book, "Everyone Poops." Dental bugs eat the sugar in our mouth from the food we eat, use it to produce acid that dissolves our teeth and causes cavities. Since everything eats, everything poops. Think about that the next time you decide to NOT brush your teeth - you're leaving all those bugs and their poop in your mouth.

Anyway, the kids were all appropriately disgusted, so we finished the lesson and asked Xander to give the closing prayer. We reminded him to bless the refreshments (Thank you Becky Scribner for the strawberry/rhubarb/peach cobbler!) and he proceeded to pray. "And please bless the bugs that they won't poop on my teeth." Needless to say, all the older kids and adults had a hard time keeping from laughing.

So remember what dental plaque REALLY is, and brush twice a day (at least).

5 comments:

Amazing Bible Timeline said...

Nice Dan. I'll be remembering that for a loooonnnnggg time.

Mendy said...

Man, I wonder if my kids will remember our lesson on the Holy Ghost as well as your kids will remember theirs on bugs and poop in their mouths...

lrwardell said...

I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

HILARIOUS!!! Maybe you can host an FHE lesson like that with my kids :D

Jeff Chesnut said...

I used to love those red tablets when we'd get them in school. I hadn't heard about the tooth-poop, though. I think I'll go brush now.